Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chicago Review: Rodefer!

Fans (oh yes, count me as one) of the ever-enthralling Stephen Rodefer would do well to grab a copy of the latest Chicago Review, which has an enormous feature on Rodefer – lots of stuff, including an interview with Rodefer, critical essays on his work by Keston Sutherland and David Georgi, two essays and four poems by Rodefer himself, a memoir by Fanny Howe and a checklist.

And there's more: poems by Rae Armantrout, Carl Phillips, Ange Mlinko, Endi Hartigan, John Tipton, Joanna Klink, Alice Notley, Paul Éluard (translated by Robert Huddleston) and Elizabeth Arnold.

And my own review of John Matthias's latest, strong collection, Kedging: New Poems.
***
A reminder to Britons, & those who might be drifting thru southern England late next week, that the place to be for the Zukofskynalia this year (that's 23 January, Zukofsky's birthday – 105 if you're counting) is the University of Sussex, where their Centre for Modernist Studies'll be celebrating the event with a performance – by Sean Bonney, Ken Edwards, Daniel Kane and Francesca Beasley, with Kerry Yong on harpsichord – of "A"-24. There'll also be talks by Harry Gilonis, Jeff Hilson, the indispensible Jeff Twitchell-Waas, and Tim Woods. 

And by yr. humble blogger, as well. Someone tell me what the weather's like there; should I bring socks?

2 comments:

Su said...

I was pleasantly surprised by your appearance in my mailbox yesterday.

The Rodefer stuff was so engaging that my dinner went cold while I was reading.

Observations & lessons learned:

1) I love the surprises that journal/review subscriptions provide (over picking out books/mags at stores). When a particular mag/journal disappoints me, another arrives to repel the disappointment.

2) I have been disengaged too long.

3) Taco salads do not warm up well.

4) I got a great word for the verification of this comment: 'porkio'. I must use it in something.

Archambeau said...

Props on the Matthias piece! Are you writing for the Salt Companion?