Sunday, February 17, 2013

scroggins world tour dates, spring 2013


The Grateful Dead had Deadheads; Jimmy Buffet has Parrot-heads. Thank Ba'al I don't have any hardcore fan-followers, because heaven knows what sort of "heads" they'd be saddled with as a name. Anyway, I poke my head out from the great sift of papers (real and virtual) to announce upcoming appearances:

•Tuesday, 19 February, Richard Greene of the University of Toronto, award-bedecked poet and biographer of Edith Sitwell, editor of a selection of Graham Greene's letters, will be at Our Fair University; we'll be having a free-form "conversation on literary biography." (7.00 PM, CU 321, for locals.) It'll be great fun.

•The very next day (phew!) I'm sitting on a panel with some of my esteemed departmental colleagues, trying to impart some wisdom (?) to undergraduates about how to go about applying to grad school. Flyer here.

•Friday, 22 February, at the annual Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture Since 1900, I'll be on one of two whiz-bang panels on "The New Gnostics: Vectors in Postmodern Poetry." I'll be talking about Robert Duncan – paper title "'I am not an occultist': Esotericism, Literary History, and Autobiography in The H.D. Book."

•Then, after a few weeks to catch my breath, I'm off to Orlando to the annual International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts. This is I gather a rather big deal for those involved in science fiction & fantasy studies. It's my first time around, so I'm kinda scared and unsure of myself – what if I mistake a book by Ursula K. LeGuin for something by Joanna Russ? What if I miss an obvious reference to a Celtic fertility ceremony? What if I forget my snazzy steampunk-modified-goggles-&-top-hat combination? The paper I'll be delivering is called "Recalculating the Apocalypse: Michael Moorcock's The Final Programme and Adaptation."

Hope to see some of you at one or more of these things.

2 comments:

Archambeau said...

I'm proud to be a Scrogghead!

Sisyphus said...

I Want That Hat!