Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"once more..."

Two of three syllabi have been "finalized" (temporarily, subject to revision, etc.), up-to-the-minute rolls have been printed out, talking notes have been assembled – so I'm off for the first classes of the semester, bracing myself not merely against the wholly unseasonable chill in the South Florida air, but for that inevitable moment of stage fright when I first stand up in front of the assembly & introduce myself: "Hi, I'm MS; I'll be your instructor this semester..." Odd – after doing this for over 2 decades, the 1st day really doesn't get any easier.

4 comments:

Vance Maverick said...

Begin, then, Sisters of the sacred well,
That from beneath the seat of Jove doth spring,
Begin, and somwhat loudly sweep the string.


(But only somewhat.)

Steven Fama said...

Would it help if you skipped the introducing yourself part?

I bet they'd figure out who you are and what's going on.

Just hightail it right from the gate into the substance.

Maybe introduce yourself at the end of the first class. "Oh, by the way, I am Mark Scroggins . . . ."

Brian S said...

You call yourself Instructor? But that's my gig!

I'll say this about first days of class--having a daughter named Brittany Spears makes breaking the ice a lot easier.

undine said...

You're right--it never gets easier. I think I was even more nervous this time because I'd been away from it for a semester.