Friday, December 14, 2012

hobby time

I meant to paint some soldiers this evening, but time got away; I ended up varnishing some already painted soldiers and gluing them (with rubber cement, so they're easily removable) to bases.

So this is what I'm up to:


They're on the stove-top, so you can get some idea of scale (note burner control to right). At a nominal 1:72 scale, they stand around an inch high. These particular sets aren't great, as these types of soldiers go. On the left are a couple of bases' worth of Romans, from the much-maligned Airfix "Romans" sets; most of the swords didn't survive the injection-molding process, & the sculptor seemed to have no idea of how a pilum (short lance) was actually carried. I must have bought these back in the 1970s sometime; I had to scrape my adolescent self's very bad paint jobs off of some of them. (Luckily, since I was too dumb to varnish back then, much of the paint had already flaked off.)

On the right are Airfix's "Ancient Britons," one of the first sets I bought back in the day, but a set that's still available – this particular formation is from a new box. Eventually I'll get around to repainting my old ones as well. I have in mind a huge diorama of the siege of Alesia, or something like that. I'm looking forward to incorporating some of the newer, far more realistic and dynamically sculpted Gallic Warriors from Italeri:


Here's a few more or less in progress.

1 comment:

Michael Peverett said...

The Caledoniad come forth at last!

"... On the left hand you may see some slight vestiges of the _porta sinistra,_ and on the right, one side of the _porta dextra_ wellnigh entire. Here, then, let us take our stand, on this tumulus, exhibiting the foundation of ruined buildings,---the central point---the _praetorium,_ doubtless, of the camp. From this place, now scarce to be distinguished but by its slight elevation and its greener turf from the rest of the fortification, we may suppose Agricola to have looked forth on the immense army of Caledonians, occupying the declivities of yon opposite hill,--- the infantry rising rank over rank, as the form of ground displayed their array to its utmost advantage,---the cavalry and _covinarii,_ by which I understand the charioteers---another guise of folks from your Bond-street four-in-hand men, I trow--- scouring the more level space below---"

---------See, then, Lovel---See------ See that huge battle moving from the mountains! Their gilt coats shine like dragon scales;---their march Like a rough tumbling storm.---See them, and view them, And then see Rome no more!------"